Up or doon?
Thinking about knife crime statistics and whether they have risen or fallen in Scotland in recent years.
Crimes associated with offensive weapons - up or down?
Convictions of young people - up or down?
Sexual and nonsexual crimes - up or down?
Hate crime - up or down?
Crime levels since the lockdown - up or down?
Pick something high that everyone has to touch for 'up' and something low that they touch for 'down'. This can be as simple as standing up and crouching down, or touching a basketball hoop and a bench, or they can stand up/sit down, or put a thumb up/thumb down depending on where you are and how much energy you want to generate.
Here are the answers:
1. Crimes associated with offensive weapons (down by 61% in the last 10 years)
2. Convictions of young people (down by 85%)
3. Sexual and nonsexual crimes (up due to a new way of recording domestic violence)
4. Hate crime (is on the rise)
5. Crime levels since the lockdown (down by 25%)
There is a link to a 4 minute Bloomberg video on how Scotland has cut Knife Violence. But the violence problem continues which is why you are here today.
The link will take you to an interactive rag doll activity from No Knives Better Lives where you can reveal more facts.